Pembs Coast Path: Marloes, Deer Park (7.4 miles)

Whilst on a break in Pembrokeshire, I managed to squeeze in this walk around the Marloes Peninsula. 

Geology meets Sea

Here is a map of my route. I parked at the National Trust Car Park for Marloes Beach (free to members), and walked the Pembrokeshire Coast Path (PCP) clockwise around the Marloes 'peninsula', rounding the Deer Park headland, and returning to finish above Musselwick Sands. I then cut across to return to my start point. 

As with virtually any section of the PCP, the scenery was splendid, with the complex geology writ large in the variety of cliff formations, and the deep blue sky reflected in the deep blue sea. In the morning there had been a sea mist (a common occurrence here), but by the time I started my walk, it had cleared to give a sunny afternoon.

Sadly I didn't have time or energy to descend to the two beaches on this walk, namely Marloes Sands and Musselwick Sands: saved for another time.

The sea mist was just clearing when I started above Marloes Beach

Looking over Gateholm Island to Skokholm Island

Looking back to Marloes Beach

Looking back over Gateholm Island

Aquamarine

Looking across to the Deer Park headland (Skomer Island poking in at the left)

Deer Park is in the care of the  National trust, bless them. 

In the 19th Century, a wall was built to isolate the headland, and it became known as the 'Deer Park', although there is no evidence deer were kept there

Skomer Island

Wooltack Point

Looking North across St Brides Bay to the St Davids Peninsula

Coastwatch station atop Deer Park

Refreshments at the Skomer Tours centre

Martin's Haven is the embarkation point for Skomer Tours

The path along the North Coast

Musselwick Sands

Looking down on Musselwick Sands

Looking back at Musselwick Sands

Path down to Musselwick Sands (I didn't have time or energy)

Marloes Beacon






Comments