Essex: Naze GEOwalk and Beach Walk to Clacton (6 + 7 miles)

Clifftop Trees on the Naze Headland

I took the train to Walton-on-the-Naze in Essex. Here is a map of my walks.

It was a day of two halves. 

First (BLUE route, 6 miles), I walked from the station up to, and climbed, the Naze Tower, a great viewpoint. 

I then followed the GEOwalk Trail around the headland of "The Naze", as described in the explanatory leaflet, available from the Essex Wildlife Trust Centre next to the Tower. I went out along the clifftop path, and returned along the beach. The leaflet explains the geology visible in the cliffs in the form of layers of sand and clay. The beach under the cliffs is said to be one of the best spots for fossil hunting in Essex, the most common being sharks teeth. Plenty of people were trying their hand as did I: the most I found was what I think is a piece of fossilised wood. There are also several remains of concrete pill boxes and gun emplacements, originally on the clifftop, but now deposited by erosion on the beach. It all reminded me of my Warden Point walk on the Isle of Sheppey

After a cuppa and cake at the Tower kiosk, I returned to the town seafront at the pier. (NB you have a choice of three cafes at the Tower: the Tower Kiosk, cafe in the Wildlife Trust Centre, and the Naze Links cafe.)

By this time it was early afternoon. For the second half of my walk, starting around 2:00pm, I walked past Frinton and on to Clacton along the coast (RED route, 7 miles). I hadn't planned it specifically, but the tide was out, so I was able to walk most of the way along the beach. I have cycled this route in the opposite direction, sticking to the clifftop and sea wall paths, so it was good to get a different perspective from beach level. I took to the sea wall for the bit in the middle around Holland Haven, because there was little or no beach exposed. 

There were quite a few people enjoying the late summer sun on Walton beach, but numbers thinned out as I progressed past Frinton. The beach was firm sand, great to walk on. Nearer Clacton, rock breakwaters have been installed, presumably to reduce erosion, and these have created a sequence of sandy bays. As it was getting late and a bit cooler, these bays were pretty much deserted.

Out to sea, the Gunfleet Sands wind farm was clearly visible, and beyond it, the London Array.

I ended at Clacton Railway Station at around 6:30pm and got the train home. It was great to feel close to nature along a coast best known for crowded beaches and seaside entertainments. A corner of Essex well-worth visiting, and (whisper it) a pleasant contrast to my other walks beside the muddy, flat estuaries and creeks further south.

Note that for some reason, these routes have not yet been made part of the England Coast Path.

Here are some photos. The day started rather overcast, but brightened by the time I reached the Naze headland. The rest of the day was mainly sunny.

GEOwalk around the Naze

At Walton-on-the-Naze Station

Temptation at the Pier

Grab a Cuddly Toy

On WotN Pier, second in length only to Southend Pier

Tide turning on Walton beach

Kiosk at the Naze Tower

Hare's eye view

View from the Tower South towards WotN Pier

View from the Tower North to Felixstowe

Flying the Flag

View from the Tower West over the Backwaters

Railway Poster

Cliff erosion

Cliffs and Beach: 3 concrete foundations of WW2 gun emplacements (left), plus pillbox (right)

The Cliffs near the Tower

Pillbox

Shady wood

Path along the sea wall on the tip of The Naze

Beach at the tip of the Naze

Naze Beach

Driftwood Log

At the Northern end of the beach, Loess (wind blown dust) was deposited directly onto London Clay during the last glaciation

Another Driftwood Log

Naze Beach

Naze Cliffs

The three gun emplacement remnants, and pillbox

Giant creme caramel

Three giant creme caramels

Naze Cliffs: Red Crag Shell Bank (Pleistocene, 2.5mya) on top of London Clay (Eocene, 56mya)

Pillbox on the beach

Naze beach at low tide

Naze Tower from the Beach

Tea and cake, Tower Kiosk

Naze Tower

Walton beach

Looking to Walton Pier

Under Walton Pier

Warning Flag

Walton beach huts

Walton beach, heading towards Frinton

Looking back to Walton Pier

The seawall at Holland Gap

Beach at Holland Gap

Holland Haven

One of the many bays formed by rock breakwaters (Clacton Pier in the distance)

Gunfleet Sands Wind Farm

Approaching Clacton Pier

Clacton

Clacton Station







Comments